Differentiating pounds and kilograms is really very easy. However, in the most realistic sense, the two units of measurement can get a bit complicated. It is quite easy to tell the difference between pound and kilogram when speaking in general terms. Both the pound and the kilogram are units of measure of weight or mass.
A pound is an imperial unit of mass or weight. Likewise, after the adoption of the SI system in 1959, the kilogram unit was adopted as the unit of weight measurement. However, when we consider the technicalities behind the terms, it becomes significantly more complex and difficult to distinguish between the two units.
A kilogram (kg) is said to be 2.2 times heavier than a pound (represented as pounds). Therefore, one kilogram of mass is equal to 2.26 pounds. With that said, we will look at some major differences between the pound and the kilogram below.
So mass in pounds is abbreviated “lbm” while force in pounds is abbreviated “lbf.” In the context of force, one pound is actually equivalent to 4.4482216152605 newtons (N). However, in any case, when the subject is already determined as mass or weight, then “lb.” can be used for both cases.
- Both pounds and kilos are units of mass. These are accepted measures for measuring mass in the US and Commonwealth countries. They are actually mentioned in Acts. For example, the United Kingdom implemented the use of the international pound in the Weights and Measures Act of 1963.
- Pound is an imperial unit of measure for weight or mass, while the kilogram is a metric unit of measure.
- pound or Libra uses the abbreviation ‘lb’. Apart from this, the abbreviations ‘lbm’ and ‘lbm’ are also used for a pound. For one kilo, the abbreviation ‘kg’ is used. Both abbreviations appear at the end of the number indicating the mass.
- “Kilogram” is a more widely used unit of measure for mass than the pound.
- The pound is always pronounced in its entirety as a pound. However, kilogram is the full term for kilo. However, you will find that people use kilograms instead of kilograms most of the time.
- One kilogram is roughly equal to 2.2 pounds. So a kilo is 2.2 times heavier than a pound.
- The pound is written the same way in British and American English. However, kilo is spelled as kilogram in American English and kilogram in British English.
- “Libra” can also refer to the currency of a country such as the UK and other nations.
- Kilo is now used more as a unit of measure in most countries. The pound is still widely used in the United States and the United Kingdom.
- “Pound” can be a unit of weight or a measure of force, while “kilogram” is simply a unit of mass measurement.
- Although both pounds and kilos are known as units of mass, you will see that in everyday life they are used as units of measurement for weight. Every item you buy from the market has a ‘kg’ or ‘lb’ number in front of the word ‘weight’.
- Finally, 1 pound = 0.45359237 kilograms or 1 kg = 2.20462 pounds.
Difference Between Pound and Kilogram in Tabular Form
|A pound is an imperial unit of mass or measure of weight.||A kilogram is a metric unit of measurement.|
|One pound is mostly used in countries like the US and UK.||The kilo is widely used as a unit of measurement in most countries.|
|A pound is abbreviated as lb, lbm.||A kilogram is abbreviated as kilo or kg.|
|A pound is derived from a Germanic word.||A kilogram is derived from a Greek word.|
|One pound is equal to 0.4535 kilograms||One kilogram is equal to 2.2046 pounds.|
Overview – Pounds vs Kilos
The first reason for the confusion is probably due to the existence of the unit of the pound as one form of mass and in another, it is in the form of force. So mass in pounds is abbreviated “lbm” while force in pounds is abbreviated “lb.” In the context of force, one pound is actually equivalent to 4.4482216152605 newtons (N).
However, in any case, when the subject is already determined as mass or weight, then “lb.” can be used for both cases.
Furthermore, ‘pound’ is also the name of the official British currency £. Egypt, Lebanon, Sudan, and Syria are other countries that use the pound currency. This coin was derived from the traditional definition of the pound, which values it at one pound of silver.
Another cause of confusion is the influence of gravity. Simply stated, a kilogram (abbreviated as kilogram or shortened as a kilo) of mass is equal to 2.2 pounds. This is true when measuring mass here on Earth. But on other planets where gravity is weaker or stronger than ours, the conversion constant is most likely different from 2.2.
Also, some say that a kilogram is a measure of weight because it is accepted that a kilo is the mass of 1 liter of water. On the opposite side, one pound equals about 0.454 kg. or 454 grams.
Historically, the formal adoption of the International System of Units (SI) in 1959 paved the way for a change in direction from encompassing kilograms as the most widely used unit of measure for mass.
In fact, most of today’s SI units (the modern metric system of units) are the most commonly used in science, commerce, and everyday life. It’s worth noting, however, that some countries like the US and the UK are adopting the pound as their standard unit of measurement for mass.
It’s easy to remember the difference between pounds and kilos in a 2.2: 1 ratio. That is, 2.2 pounds equals 1 kilo. In other words, 2.2 pounds are in a kilogram, or we can say that 0.45 kilo is in a pound. But, this is only an approximation. Basically, both Pounds and Kilos, or Kilograms, are units of measurement of weight.
The pound is the imperial system of weight measurement. Since the adoption of the SI system in 1959, the world has moved toward the kilogram as the unit of measurement for weight.
However, there are countries like the US and the UK that still use the imperial system of weights containing pounds and stones. The exact relationship between a pound and a kilogram will be covered in this article, aside from some interesting facts.
What is a kilo?
Kilo is, in fact, a prefix but, in the measurement of weight, it refers to the kilogram. The symbol ‘kg’ indicates kilos or kilograms. The kilogram is the spelling of American English, while the kilogram is the spelling of British English. The kilogram is the standard unit of weight measurement in the SI system where the weight of the International Prototype Kilogram is taken as the mass of one liter of water.
In reality, a kilogram is a unit of mass and not weight, since a person’s weight is the product of his mass and the gravity of the earth at that location. IPK is a cylindrical figure made of Iridium-Platinum and weighs exactly 1 kg. This is the main standard of measurement for any mass in the world. It is kept in a vault at the International Office of Weights and Measures in France. When measured with standard,
1kg = 2.20462 pounds
So an object that has a mass of 1000kg is 2204.62 pounds. 100kg is 220,462 pounds.
What is a pound?
The pound is one of the popular units of mass measurement in the imperial system (two others are ounce and stone). It is also known as a unit of mass. Since the pound is also the monetary unit in Great Britain, to differentiate it from the monetary pound, the abbreviation for pound (peso) has been chosen as ‘lb’.
This abbreviation has to do with this unit that has its association with the Roman Libra. There are other abbreviations used for pounds such as ‘lbm, and lbm’. As there are many different versions of a pound used in different countries, the pound knew to the world has been referred to as the International Avoirdupois Pound.
which is equal to 0.45359237 kilograms. Since this is a conversion that is difficult to remember, a simpler conversion that is roughly the pound can be used.
1 lb = 450 g
Therefore, 100 pounds is 45.3592kg. 1000 lb is 453.592kg.